Sunday, December 15, 2013

Go Green, Integrate Technology

         Growing up, I was never that student who used book-socks for my books and I always ended up being faced with a damage fee at the end of the year. My parents would not understand how I always managed to do this and I never had an answer for them. When kids are young they are still learning about responsibility and so they do not fully understand the importance of caring for something, especially something that is not theirs. For this reason, I think that school districts and teachers should integrate online textbooks into their classes rather than paper ones.
         I came across a website called “bookos” a few weeks ago and I thought it was awesome. Once you enter, you put in the ISBN of the book you want to find and if it finds it, you can download it FOR FREE. I used it for some classes this semester and avoided paying over one hundred dollars. For college students this tool is really helpful as many of us support ourselves and look for ways to save money. For younger students this tool is helpful since it will avoid the need for parents to pay their childrens’ damage fees. It is also helpful for both the younger and older generations of students as it lightens the load of books to carry. My mom always made me use the backpacks with wheels so I would not hurt my back from a young age but with online books, students will not get stuck rolling their backpacks with embarrassment.
The website requires that you use either an ipad or iphone since the books download to the application iBooks. I understand that teachers can not expect the students and their parents to go out and purchase an Apple product but there are many other websites similar to this that may not require this purchase. All these websites require is a computer and in today’s society there is access to computers everywhere. I think that parents would also like this tool since it is not harming the environment. No trees had to be destroyed in the making of online textbooks and in a world where many people are trying to go green, this is a perfect tool.

Have your teachers ever suggested for you to use online books?
Would you suggest it for your future classroom?

1 comment:

  1. Wow I have never heard about this website before. I wish I knew about this before, I have spent thousands of dollars on textbooks that end up only collecting dust. Even though I do not think online text books are as great as real text books I do love having this option for some people and see how more students should use online text books.

    ReplyDelete